2/12/2008

Across The Universe Review

Across The Universe: The idea is brilliant – tell a love story during the anti-war movement of Vietnam using only Beatles’ songs to move the plot forward. That time period saw many drastic changes, as did the Beatles' music, thus the perfect fit. Each Beatles' song in the movie is sung by one of the characters, not just played over a video montage. Some of the song interpretations worked beautifully (Strawberry Fields Forever was my favorite), while others were a bit of a stretch (I want to hold your hand). My main two gripes with the film were A) the love story was very weak….I never really cared if the characters got back together. And B) the songs had a very “lip sync” feel to them. I understand they have to be for the movie, but they could have made it sound a bit more genuine – instead I felt like I was watching a music video most of the time. Great idea, but poor execution forces me to…… “Kick it to the Floor”

Queue Rating Top {1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10} Bottom

No comments:

Post a Comment